Monday, December 6, 2010

Time and Seasons to Live By

I believe the author of Ecclesiastes to be right-on with his assessment of our days here on earth: There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven. We can count on experiencing breakneck joys as well as abysmal defeats. And in spite of all the ups and downs, God is making everything beautiful in its time. The grim stickiness, the author of Ecclesiastes points out, is that we don't always know what God is doing from beginning to end. When I read that He just might be making some beauty out of my life, well, that is extremely good news. My life is a collection of all kinds of strange raw material that often makes little sense to me in the moment. Shame haunts me. Financial woes impede my mind. Worry keeps me company pretty much around the clock. If the author of Ecclesiastes is right, as I believe he is, then God is at work, even now, creating and recreating an enduring piece of art from my little, broken-down, saturated life. For the past couple of months I have devoted posts to these verses in Ecclesiastes, hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment